One of the biggest trends of the last quarter-century has been the widespread adoption of sustainable business practices. The third-party logistics sector is no exception, with numerous providers revamping their operations to reduce the impact they have on the environment. This can include green logistics transportation.
If your company is looking for ways to improve its performance in this regard, you may be wondering what sustainable or green logistics transportation looks like. Here is a brief overview of some of the many initiatives currently being used to improve sustainability in logistics and transport.
- Intermodal transportation: Shipping goods by rail consumes less fuel and releases fewer emissions into the atmosphere. When combined with over-the-road trucking to provide last-mile service, this could drastically improve the industry’s fuel efficiency. Learn more about our rail services and locations.
- Improved packaging: Being smarter about how packaging is used can help reduce wasted paper, plastic, and other materials that might otherwise end up in landfills. Recycling as much as possible also contributes to a more sustainable industry. Discover how our fulfillment services, including custom packaging, can help.
- Fuel-efficient vehicles: Utilizing trucks and vans that use alternative fuels such as biodiesel or fuel cells could help reduce the industry’s dependence on fuels that create greenhouse gases. In addition, electric-powered vehicles have come a long way in the past few decades, making them a more appealing option for carriers.
- Strategic locations: Placing distribution centers closer to where customers are can save time as well as energy. Companies that employ this strategic approach may see their fuel consumption decrease significantly because they need to travel fewer miles to reach those they serve.
- Increased automation: Using warehouse management systems allows companies to improve their efficiency in a thousand ways every day. Every wasted effort that is prevented could result in less waste and a more sustainable operation. Explore our strategic warehouse locations across the country.
Sustainable transportation and logistics aren’t a niche segment of the market — they’re the mainstream. As a recognized leader in the 3PL space, WSI can offer your company a wide range of innovative and eco-friendly solutions for outsourcing elements of your supply chain. When you partner with us, you can expect to receive a comprehensive solution to your needs. If you would like to learn more about everything we have to offer, get in touch with us today.